Unlimited Research Collaboration Opportunities
Boston is home to some of the top health research and industry organizations in the world, and many are within walking distance of Northeastern. Northeastern also has strong ties to Boston’s urban community, creating a wealth of partnership opportunities.
A One-Of-A-Kind Global Center of Health Innovation
The following health organizations are within a short walk of Northeastern:
- Harvard Medical School (HMS). HMS is consistently a top-ranked medical school for research and care education in the nation that is just a short walk from the Northeastern campus and adjacent to major teaching and research centers.
- Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH).HSPH is consistently ranked as a top five school of public health and is a ten minute walk from Northeastern.
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine (HSDM). HSDM is consistently ranked as a top school of dental medicine.
- Boston Medical Center (BMC). BMC is a private, not-for-profit, 508-bed, academic medical center and the primary teaching affiliate for Boston University School of Medicine. BMC is the largest safety net hospital in New England and reaches into the community as a founding partner of Boston HealthNet, a network of 15 community health centers through Boston serving more than a quarter million people annually.
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC).A teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School that has been recognized as one of the nation’s top hospitals in the US News and World Report “Best Hospitals” edition, placing among the leaders in eight clinical specialty categories.
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital. A teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School that has ranked on US News and World Report’s Honor Roll of America’s best hospitals for 18 consecutive years, and in 2010 ranked 11th.
- Dana Farber Cancer Institute. A teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical School that, among other accolades, is ranked the number one pediatric cancer program in New England, and one of the best in the country in U.S. News and World Report’s 2010-2011 Best Children’s Hospitals issue.
- Joslin Diabetes Center. Joslin Diabetes Center, a teaching and research affiliate of Harvard Medical School, is a one-of-a-kind institution on the front lines of the world epidemic of diabetes — leading the battle to conquer diabetes in all of its forms through cutting-edge research and innovative approaches to clinical care and education.
- Boston Children’s Hospital. Children’s ranks first in six specialties,more than any other pediatric hospital in the United States, in the U.S. News and World Report’s 2011-12 edition of “Best Children’s Hospitals.”
- Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. The second-oldest college of pharmacy in the United States that is a ten minute walk from Northeastern’s campus.
- New England Baptist Hospital (NEBH). NEBH,a teaching affiliate of Tufts University School of Medicine, has been recognized by the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) as one of the top 10 hospitals nationally for knee and hip orthopedics. NEBH was also selected by U.S. News and World Report as a top orthopedic hospital.
- Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates (Kenmore complex). Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates is a non-profit, multi-specialty medical group practice providing care to almost 495,000 adult and pediatric patients at more than 20 offices across eastern Massachusetts using a team approach to healthcare.
The following organizations are within a 10-20 minute subway or cab ride of Northeastern:
- Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH). A teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School that has been recognized as one of the nation’s top 17 hospitals on the “Best Hospitals Honor Roll” by US News and World Report.
- St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center. St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center is a community-based 272-bed tertiary care hospital located in the Brighton neighborhood of Boston and affiliated with Tufts. It was named to the Thompson Reuters Top 100 Hospitals list for 2011.
- Center for Integration of Medicine and Innovative Technology (CIMIT). A non-profit consortium of Boston’s leading teaching hospitals
and universities (including Northeastern), CIMIT fosters interdisciplinary collaboration among world-class experts in translational research, medicine, science and engineering, in concert with industry, foundations and government,
to rapidly improve patient care.
- Mount Auburn Hospital. Mount Auburn Hospital is a vibrant regional teaching hospital in Cambridge closely affiliated with the Harvard Medical School..
- Faulkner Hospital. A Brigham and Women’s hospital recently recognized as one of the nation’s top performers on key quality measures by The Joint Commission, the leading accreditor of health care organizations in America.
- Angell Animal Medical Center. Provides world-class veterinary services in Boston since 1915 in a state-of-the-art hospital.
- Partner’s Healthcare Center for Connected Health. The Center for Connected Health develops new strategies to move health care from the hospital and doctor’s office into the day-to-day lives of patients leveraging information technology.
- Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital. Spaulding is one of the largest rehabilitation facilities in the U.S., providing comprehensive rehabilitation treatment, and since 1995 has been ranked by U.S. News and World Report in its Best Hospitals survey.
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear. Mass. Eye and Ear is a Harvard Medical School teaching hospital, a world-renowned research center, and consistently ranks in the top five in the nation for both specialties in U.S. News and World Report’s annual hospital survey.
- VA Medical Center-West Roxbury. The VA is leading development in many areas such as electronic medical records, and Northeastern researchers collaborate regularly with the VA West Roxbury campus.
- Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology (HST). An MIT/HMS collaboration, with many researchers exploring innovative research at the intersections of science, engineering, and medicine.
- Tufts Medical School. Tufts is a top-ranked medical school with an outstanding research program. It is a ten minute subway ride from the Northeastern campus and has close research ties to the university. Northeastern is a member of the Tufts Clinical and Translational Science Institute.
- Tufts Medical Center . Tufts Medical Center is a world-class academic medical center that is the principle teaching hospital for Tufts Medical School. It is home to both a full-service hospital for adults and Floating Hospital for Children.
Northeastern has ties to the Groden Center, a nationally-recognized school for autistic children and residential center for autistic adults located just a 50 minute train ride from Northeastern in Providence, RI.
Boston is also home to a vibrant entrepreneurial community, with a burgeoning number of startups in personal health informatics, as well as an established medical device and biotechnology industry. Many leading companies have offices within a 45 minute drive of downtown Boston.
With a good idea, there is no limit for collaborative research opportunities in the Boston area.